Wednesday 2 July 2014

31 Day Photo Challenge - What You Wore - Day 2

Day 2 of my 31 Photography Challenge is What You Wore, and at first I thought this might be easy. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't.

Last night, I started to think about what to wear today and since I was working from home today, would I wear two outfits, one for the day or one for the evening?  Typically, when I work from home I slum it.  I usually wear pyjamas for part of the morning, then change into shorts or something else comfortable for my outings with Nutmeg.  Since it's still hot and humid in Ottawa, I decided to wear a comfortable dress while working from home and thought it would do for my outing this evening.

Once I decided on the dress, I thought "this is pretty easy.  I'll put the hanger with the dress on the back of the door and snap, take a picture."  This is what I did this morning and I didn't think about the picture of the dress on the back of the door until after work on my way to meet a friend.  While waiting for the bus, I reflected on my picture and came to the conclusion it wasn't what was in mind for the photo challenge, because my picture is boring.  It's about as boring as a kick in the head, not that I have ever been kicked in the head.

B-O-R-I-N-G Picture of outfit

Since I had time to kill on the bus, I did some research on how to take pictures of what you wore ... and I was right.  My earlier picture was B-O-R-I-N-G! There are many fashionistas out there who take pictures of their outfits every single day and blog about it.  Some prefer to use outdoor settings in a park, or against a unique building.  They also use a timer.  I'm reading this on the bus and thinking "Oh crap! What am I going to do?"  Why the panic?  When would I find time to create this picture?  I was on my way to meet my friend, eat a very quick supper, and then go to Hooley's Pub for Paint Nite and learn how to paint an owl. Paint Nite supply the canvas, stand, brushes, paint, apron, and instruction. It's a fun thing to do with friends, a loved one, or for a date.

Here are some links about how to take pictures of your outfit:

Delightfully Tacky: Tips for Taking Your Own Outfit Photos

A Beautiful Mess: Tips for Great Outfit Photos

The Skinny Blonde Girl: How to take Good Outfit Photos for Your Fashion Blog

Danimezza: How to Take Awesome Instagram Outfit Photos

I went straight home after Paint Nite, grabbed my point and shoot camera, gorilla tripod, iPhone, my dog, Nutmeg, and went for a walk.  I stopped outside one of my favourite shops and tried using my camera and tripod to capture a picture with the timer.  The 2 second timer went off, but I couldn't get the 10 second time to go off (okay, I forgot how to use it).  I decided to continue with the walk and would figure out something when I got home.

After I returned home, I went to my office and wrapped the tripod around my bookcase and figured out the timer.  The fashionista bloggers recommend using a remote for their timers and realized this would be an ideal tool to have as I was running back and forth to the camera to reset the timer and to check if Nutmeg and her pink ball were in the picture.  What did I wear today?  I wore a red and pink horizontal stripe dress from Smart Set, bronze flower sandals from Target, a Citizen Eco Drive watch, a small beaded bracelet, and sterling silver earrings. I also decided on big hair for the day ... actually, it's air dried and that's how it goes.  Clearly, I need to put more thought and effort into these "outfit" pictures.

Outtake 1 with Nutmeg
Outtake 2 with Nutmeg and her ball

Final Picture for Day 2 - What You Wore

Do you take pictures of your outfits? If so, how do you take the picture, at home, at a park, or elsewhere?




No comments: