Saturday 19 July 2014

31 Day Photo Challenge - Something You Want - Day 19

This morning I woke up to Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode playing on the radio and it's a great tune to wake up to.  As I laid in bed listening to the song, I remembered when this video came out in 1989 on Much Music and I instantly loved it.  I loved the beat, the tune, the grittiness of the video, and I thought David Gahan was so sexy in it.  You know it has to be a good tune if Johnny Cash covered it.  Back in 2005/2006, when I was studying library science at the University of Waterloo, a couple of classmates and I went to Toronto to see Depeche Mode in concert.  It was a great concert and I couldn't believe I was finally seeing them after all these years.  David Gahan was just as sexy on stage as he was in the videos.  Hope you like it as much as me.




Another old tune I heard this morning is Lucky Man by Richard Ashcroft, from The Verve.  For some reason, this song screams summer to me and feeling happy.  Thought I would share it with you since it's summertime.



Today's photo challenge is "Something You Want".  There are lots of things that I want.  I want to be free of my student debt and I will be very soon.  How do you take a picture of this?  I want to buy a small postage-size house (really small) with a yard so I can sit outside and have a garden and Nutmeg would have a place to fart around and play.  I want to get my drivers license.  My goal is to get my G1 (learner's) by the end of 2014.  I want the IQ Kettle by Breville, which is a stainless steel electric kettle that boils 5 different temperatures for white, green, oolong, and black tea, and I think the 5th setting is for bodums.  It will even keep the temperature for 20 minutes so you don't have to reboil the water.  How cool is that!  I will buy this kettle sometime over the next year after my student debt is paid off.  Lately, I've been comparing 8 speed dutch style bicycles and the various options that come with them, such as a rear rack, front rack or basket, skirt guard, and colours.  Perhaps it will be a purchase in the next year or two. 

What is Something I Really Want?  I want to go to Egypt more than anything.  Egypt has been my dream destination forever.  I have two Egyptian style mugs, which you will see in the picture and I believe they were given to me by my grandmother.  They sit on my book shelf two shelves above these books:
  1. A River in the Desert : Modern Travels in Ancient Egypt by Paul William Roberts
  2. Nefertiti : Egypt's Sun Queen by Joyce Tyldesley
  3. Teach Yourself Hieroglyphics by Ronald L. Bonewitz
  4. Fodor's Exploring Egypt (2001)
  5. Egypt by Eyewitness Travel Guides
I want to see Cairo and wonder around it's markets.  I want to stand next to the Great Pyramids of Giza (Khufu, Khafre, and Menkaure) and be awed and feel minuscule by them.  I want to look dead on with the Great Sphinx and maybe some of it's power will transfer over to me.  I want to sail down the Nile on a felucca and dream of days past.  I want to visit the Luxor Temple, the Edfu Temple, and see the Hatshepsut Temple.  Yes, I want to be engrossed in this ancient history.  I want to go to Oasis and camp in the Desert.  I want to go Alexandria and see it's ruins and new buildings, such as the Bibliotheca Alexandrina.   I wrote a paper on the library in my 4th year Alexander course in my undergrad.  I want to ride a camel to Mount Sinai and visit Saint Catherine's Monastery, which is one of the oldest Christian monasteries (I'm not religious, but I like to know about various religions to have a better understanding of people's beliefs and what makes them who they are; and churches, monasteries, mosques, etc are great examples of architecture.)  I want to meet local Egyptians and eat and talk with them over meals and tea/coffee.  I want to sample all of their food.

Initially, I planned to visit Egypt for my 30th birthday, but I went back to university full-time and couldn't afford it.  Back then I said I would go for my 40th birthday because I want to celebrate my birthday in Egypt.  Well my 40th is less than 6 months away and unless I win some money I will not be going there in December-January.  It does make me a little sad that I won't be spending my birthday there.  I have a little over half of the required Aeroplan points to fly there from Ottawa.  My friend Vicki offered to give me the rest of the required points as a birthday present, however, it costs more to transfer the points over to me than to buy a ticket outright.  Why is that?  In the beginning, I wanted to spend a month in Egypt and travel on my own, but due to the unrest, I will go with a travel company.  My favourite tour at the moment is Absolute Egypt by G [GAP] Adventures.  It's 16 days and pretty much goes to all the places I want to see except for Mount Sinai.  I will go to Egypt at some point next year.  

31 Day Photo Challenge - Day 19 - Something You Want (final picture)
  
Show me a picture or tell me Something You Want. 


No comments: