Sunday 6 July 2014

31 Day Photo Challenge - Obsession - Day 6

Today's photo challenge is "obsession" and I was all out of ideas this morning.  I posted a Facebook status and said I was looking for ideas for today's challenge.  People commented "Nutmeg, ice cream, Nutmeg and ice cream, a book, travel, the colour orange, figure skating, or this guy who poses with a tennis racket in the Byward Market.  Besides racket guy, these are things I love, but am not obsessed about them ... okay, maybe I am obsessed about travel because I think about it all the time.  I do love ice cream but if I was obsessive about it, I would eat it all day, every day.  Sometimes I go weeks without eating ice cream.

I did another Google search for "photo challenge obsession" and found this blog post by someone who did a similar photo challenge last year.  They thought of their favourite book, Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, and that everyone was obsessed with The One Ring and how many lives it destroyed.  They took a picture of their replica ring on a page from the book.

As I biked by Beechwood Cemetery on my way to my friend Vicki's place for supper, I thought people are obsessed with death.  Perhaps if it's open I will stop at the cemetery on my home and take pictures of tombstones.  When I got to Vicki's, she asked me if I got my picture.  Sadly, no.  I did tell her that I could take a picture of Nutmeg with her pink ball because she's obsessed with this ball.  I spent most of the morning looking for it and she wouldn't play with her other toys until I found her ball.


Vicki made us excellent fish tacos for supper and for dessert we had the strawberry and rhubarb pie I bought at the Beechwood Farmers Market.  After supper we went for walk and for the opportunity to  find something for my photo.  Vicki suggested a horse because most little girls are obsessed with horses.  We decided to walk to and around the RCMP Musical Ride Centre in hopes of seeing a horse, but we saw none.

Vicki in the Field
Then it came to me on my bike ride home, money.  Countless people are obsessed with money, they never have enough of it, they have too much of it, they don't want to let of any of it go, they stress about it, etc.  I don't obsess over money, but sometimes I do worry about it and paying off my student debt.  Money's also fresh on my mind since I just put a good chunk of it on my student debt.  Thank you back pay and severance pay.  Then I realized I only had about $7.00 in cash in my wallet.  Now that wouldn't be enough for a good picture.  However, I do have other money in various denominations from countries around the world.  I have been collecting these coins and bills ever since I can remember.  Some of it was given to me and some is left over change from my travels.  I found a One Cent Canada coin from 1914.  It's a 100 years old.  I had a hard time getting a picture of the penny without it being blurry.  I played with the settings, but nothing seemed to work.  This one was a chance of luck. 

One Cent Canada Coin dated 1914 (100 years old)

I tried taking various pictures of these coins, and had a difficult time getting the right picture.  This one is the best and that is why I chose it as my final picture.  Going through these coins brought back a lot of memories.  There are coins from Belize, France, Canada, United States, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Germany, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Turkey.  Some of the bills are from the Netherlands, Laos, and the Cayman Islands.  There were also coins from Edmonton's Klondike Days (Edmonton's fair), which is now called K-Days.


31 Day Photo Challenge - Obsession - Money (final picture)

No comments: