Monday 7 July 2014

31 Day Photo Challenge - Changes to Come - Day 7

Today was the last day of my mini-vacation and I wish I took more time off.  I enjoyed sleeping in some, spending more time with Nutmeg, going for walks, hanging out on the front step eating popsicles, and going for little adventures on my bicycle.  I also watched the Mindy Project over the past week and then some.  It's a fun, light-hearted show and Mindy Kaling's character always wears the cutest, brightest outfits.

This afternoon I wanted to treat myself to lunch because that's what you do when you're on vacation.  Originally, I was thought of going to the SconeWitch since DaBombe was closed, but to be honest, I prefer to eat just their sweet scones.  I'm not really a fan of their sandwiches, but I will eat them.   Another place popped into my head just before entering the SconeWitch, SushiMe.  It's was a half a block away, if that, and they do have good sushi. At first I was going to get take-out, but changed my mind at the last minute and ate there so I could have some tea.  My favourite combo is called the Spicy Me and it comes with 4 pieces each of spicy salmon roll, spicy tuna roll, spicy California roll, and crazy roll, which is spicy roll topped with crazy sweet potato.  It was so good and very filling.



Since it's rhubarb and strawberry season I thought it was time to try the strawberry rhubarb ice cream/sherbet recipe from Dairy-Free Ice Cream by Kelly V. Brozyna.  Her 2nd ice cream recipe book was just published and is available on Amazon. I've been following her blog The Spunky Coconut for a couple of years now and she many recipes that are gluten free, paleo, and dairy free.  The first step to make this ice cream was simmer chopped rhubarb and strawberries with raw agave for 15 minutes.  The next step was to puree the simmered rhubarb, strawberries, and juices with the rest of the ingredients, and then put the pureed mixture in the freezer for a couple of hours or in the refrigerator until is cold.  I used the fridge since the my blender pitcher won't fit in my freezer.  After supper, I dug out my ice cream drum from the freezer and placed in my Cuisinart ice cream maker and poured the mixture in and watched the magic happen.  After 25 minutes, I put the ice cream in a container for the freezer.  It tastes like strawberry-rhubarb pie.


For today's photo challenge "Changes to Come", I instantly knew what to take picture of this morning when I woke up.  It was something that my friend Vicki and I have discussed over the past couple of days.  If you're from Ottawa or the surrounding area, you will remember a fire that took place March 2011 in the basement of the Home Hardware store on Beechwood Avenue.  The fire destroyed that store, the surrounding stores and apartments above Home Hardware along with the store and apartments in the building on MacKay Street beside where the fire took place.  It was also a toxic fire with black smoke and it smelled horrible.  People in nearby retirement homes were evacuated and residents were advised to stay inside with their windows closed.  

After the fire was put out, the neighbourhood suffered a great loss of shops, revenue, and homes.  The Bread and Roses Bakery, Epicuria, a take-out/catering shop, and a watch/jewelry repair shop all found new homes in the Manor Park neighbourhood.  After many months, Nature's Buzz found a new home in the neighbourhood just down the street from where they used to be located.  The other businesses were not so lucky, we lost an art gallery/shop, Home Hardware - so many times I want to pop there to get a key cut, or get some tool, light bulb, etc., a diner, a dry cleaner (the seamstress is a Brown's just down the road on Beechwood), and we lost the local franchise of Piccolo Grande, owned by Mo (aka Gelato Boy). My friends never called him that to his face but it was our code for him.  He was good looking with a beautiful smile and always friendly. His mom made the best soup too.  I wonder what ever happened to Gelato Boy.  I remember when he took a month off to go to Mecca.  I was so excited to hear about his journey when he returned.  

Since 2011, people walk and drive by this empty building and lot ever single day and it's now an eyesore.  However, the original of the land sold it to Minto and they are developing condos in this spot.  Soon or perhaps in the next fews month, Minto will tear down the existing structure to commence building their condos.  My picture represents what the area looks like now, but changes are coming to this area over the coming year.  There will be a new condo buildings with shops at the street level.  I'm hoping for a butcher shop and a bakery.  I always thought a running room would fit will in this area.  I'm not looking forward to the construction that will take place, but I am excited to see something new and a rejuvenation to the area.

31 Day Photo Challenge - Day 7 - Changes to Come (1st)


31 Day Photo Challenge - Day 7 - Changes to Come (Final Picture)

   


No comments: