Thursday 17 July 2014

31 Day Photo Challenge - Technology - Day 17

Today's photo challenge is "Technology".  When most people think of technology the first thing that comes to mind is laptops, computers, tablets, iPads, and cell phones.  What about those other things you use on a daily basis, such as the stove, fridge, microwave, electric kettle, television, and lights.  These devices represent such a big part of our lives that some people forget they too were once technological advances.  If you watched Downton Abbey, you will recall how the estate transforms over the seasons with new technology (electricity, cars, small appliances, etc.) much to the chagrin of Charles Carson, the Butler and Beryl Patmore, the Cook.  I loved watching their reactions when they saw the toaster and mixer.  A big part of Downton Abbey is the music played in the series, which leads me to my next technology device.

My first photo example represents music.  First, it was put on records, then there was 8 tracks, tapes, and CDs and now it's digital.  Now, we need a device to listen to our music whether it's stereo, record player, phone, MP3 player, iPod, computer, television, and last but not least, the radio.  Way back when before television, people listened to shows and sporting events such as hockey over the radio.  I listen to the radio every day.  It wakes me up in the morning, I listen to it as I eat and get ready for the day, Nutmeg listens to it when I'm gone and I listen to it while making supper.  It provides me weather, news, stories, and music.  I had a picture of a Tivoli Audio radio on my fridge for 3 years and finally bought this one in Montreal after passing a store carrying Tivoli Audio radios.  I didn't know at the time that they came in other colours.

Tivoli Audio - Henry Kloss - Model One Radio

I found this little gem on one of my walks today.  It's a New York Rangers 1998 zamboni dinky car.  Think of the technology used to build this one and other dinky cars.  My brother had so many of them and I used play with them and his model cars.  Actually, I repainted his model cars.  Oops!  It's a good thing I was young and cute.  I returned this little zamboni to where i found it because I assume it belongs to one of the kids that live on that street.  Does anyone remember who played for the Rangers in 1998?

New York Rangers 1998 Zamboni

For our 3rd walk of the day, I took Nutmeg to the Kavanaugh construction site to take some pictures because it's a prime example of how technology is used in construction, engineering, the crane, tools to dig, to excavate, etc.

The Kavanaugh Construction Site

I chose the crane as my final picture because it's one of the first things to arrive at the site, you see it for many, many months, and yet it does so much and can withhold enormous weight despite it looking so frail.  I also love the big, blue sky behind the crane.

31 Day Photo Challenge - Day 17 - Technology (final picture)

No comments: