Tuesday 12 July 2011

Trixie Goes to Green Gables

It's been a couple of days since my last post and I meant to write one last night but we didn't get home until late last night.  Darn it! There's an amazing lightening storm right now and I have been trying to capture a picture of it with my camera, unfortunately, my poor little point-and-shoot camera cannot capture it. 

We spent Sunday at the cottage relaxing.  I went for a walk on the beach while the tide was out and took pictures of a crab and to show how much larger the beach becomes while the tide is out. 




I finished reading One Day by David Nicholls on Saturday.  The story was well written and I enjoyed how it captured both of the main characters, Emma & Dexter's life for one day each year and for over twenty years.  I'm looking forward to seeing the movie this August.  Sunday, I started reading The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo or Men Who Hate Women by Stieg Larsson.  It's hard to keep all of the Vanger family members straight and so far, I have different theories as to what happened to Harriet Vanger.  I have read over 300 pages and am still waiting for Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander to meet.

Adam and I went out for supper with his parents on Sunday.  We drove to Kensington and went to a pub for dinner, which used to be the Kensington Train Station.  Sadly, they had stopped serving dinner when we arrived, which was around 7:00 pm.  A couple at the pub recommended a restaurant down the road at an Inn called The Home Place, so we went there for supper instead.  Apparently, The Home Place restaurant is well known for its Coconut Cream Pie.  Our waitress told us when people call to make a reservation that they also reserve the pie.  I had two appetizers for dinner, the soup of the day - Creamy Curry Squash soup and Lobster Stuffed Mushrooms with cheese.  The soup was amazing and had just the right amount of curry with the squash.  The Lobster Stuffed Mushrooms were divine.  I was content after those two dishes, but of course I had to try their infamous Coconut Cream Pie and I was not disappointed.  It was fresh and homemade with real coconut pieces.


Yesterday, Adam and I drove up to Cavendish and beyond it to The Great Canadian Soap Co., a family run business that makes handcrafted soap from goat's milk.  We took pictures of some of their goats and they even had baby goats.  They are so adorable.  We bought quite a bit of soap, some of it is souvenirs or gifts.



After our purchase, we drove back towards Cavendish and stopped at destination point for the day, Green Gables, made infamous by Lucy Maud (L.M.) Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables.  It was L.M. Montgomery's cousin's place and it was the inspiration she needed to write Anne (with an 'e') Shirley in Anne of Green Gables.  The area is very quaint, but not super spectacular.  I wished is once a bluff just like the movie.  Adam and I wondered what happened to the set stuff used for the movie. We walked the Balsam Hollow Trail and the Haunted Wood trail, which isn't haunted and cuts through a golf course.  I read the book so long ago and watched the movie whenever it aired on TV and it's left an impression with me.  Anne Shirley's character was stubborn, smart, not afraid to speak her mind, and had a great imagination.  She was an inspiring character.  So, I am glad to have seen it as it is an important place in Canadian literature.  We had ice cream at the little shop in Green Gables and I had one scoop (a great sized scoop) of something s'mores and it had little bits of marshmallow and chocolate in it.  I loved it.  Adam had a scoop of blackcherry cheesecake and he thought it was okay.


After Green Gables, we stopped in Cavendish for dinner and ate at Pizza Delight.  And, no, we did not order the garlic fingers, but now I wish I had.  Geesh!  Apparently, they are AMAZING!!!!  We split a 12 inch Works pizza and it was just right.  After our pizza we went to the shop next door, Cows Creamery and had ice cream for dessert.  It was alright, but nothing extraordinary.  I had a scoop of birthday cake (tasted a bit like cake, but not overly so) and a scoop of raspberry something and it was non-descriptive.  Adam had a scoop of chocolate mint and it was excellent.  I tried it, okay, I helped him finish it.

We relaxed today at the cottage and went for a walk along the sand dunes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see "Adam" has been upgraded from just, "my boyfriend"... :P

Anonymous said...

Another destination I would suggest is MacAuslands Woolen Mill. Its the only mill in Atlantic Canada still producing woolen blankets. Will and I bought a ton! In fact a lot of Ontario sheep farmers send their wool specifically to them to be processed. You're making me miss PEI! Have you driven on the east coastal route yet? --Angela