Sunday 9 January 2011

A day at the Beach in Barcelona


Nina and I decided to walk to the water today and walk alongside the Mediterranean for our last day in Barcelona. In total, we walked for 6 hours today to and from our B&B. On our walk we came across a nice building in pink with white/cream design and just beyond it we saw two enormous eggs atop of a building. We wonder over to see what it was and it was the Palau de la Musica. The balcony railings look like they are made out of glass and each column is decorated in a stunning ceramic pattern. We peeked in through the windows and it looked fabulous.
 
 
 
From here we walked down another lane-way and came across Barcelona's Arc Triomf near a park. We sat here for a couple of minutes to watch families walk or bike by, watched people running or in-line skating.


After this we carried on to Barceloneta which is where the beaches and ports are located. We stopped for a quick lunch, chorizo on fresh baguette. Apparently, Nina can't get enough of pork. :-) We walked down to the beach, alongside the beach on the boardwalk and we even felt the water, which wasn't too bad, but not warm enough to go swimming. Although some crazy fools were in the water. It was 18 degrees celsius while we down at the beach and some people were wearing winter coats. Nina and I were carrying our jackets.

 

We stopped at shoe store on our way back and I tried on some boots, but I didn't buy any, although I was practically stuck in the one boot. The zipper got stuck and the saleswoman struggled and fought with the zipper down to a certain point and finally pulled the boot off my foot. I felt so bad and I looked at Nina and said, "now they hate me". We left there rather quickly after that.

We walked back up La Rambla and returned to our room. We packed up our measly belongings in our one bag and planned to eat supper at Cafe Adonis for our last night. We even had a free drink coupon from our B&B. Turns out it was closed. We walked up the road and found a bar/restaurant and ordered a pitcher of sangria and pizza. The sangria is so much better than the one Vicki and I ordered in Essaoiura. Nina said it was excellent and is sad to only have tried it on our last night in Spain. We couldn't taste the wine in it. Yummy!

Tomorrow we return to Canada. A lot of things have happened in the last three weeks and I have been to many different spots from a snowy winter-land, to rainy Fez, the Sahara desert, over the mountains, stayed in the mountains, to a sea-side town, crazy Marrakech and finally, Spain with it's beautiful architecture and easy metros. I wonder what awaits for me back in Ottawa.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Welcome back to Ottawa! I can't wait to see more pictures and hear your stories. You had an amazing adventure. I think you need to make a record of all the types of ice cream you have tried and the corresponding cities.

Karen said...

Love it!
I am really looking forward to hearing more about the different cultures of the places you visit and the food, and drink that you try...Keep it up!