Thursday 6 January 2011

Celebrating my Birthday in Barcelona


This morning we still woke up with gut wrenching pain and we had many trips to the bathroom. Yippee another day of pain.  Our B&B provides a continental breakfast with yogurt (1st one since Paris) and bananas (1st one since Saturday) and other delightful pastries.


After breakfast we walked to Gaudi's La Sagrada Família. It's breathtaking! Gaudi is a true mastermind when it comes to architecture and design. It has enough seats for a 1,000 person choir and the use of light and space inside is spectacular. Nina says the inside of the church is ethereal. I have more pictures on my camera and it's hard to capture what you see with the human eye. Every time I looked up or around I saw something different such as a turtle at the bottom of an exterior column or fruit on top of a spire.


Gaudi is a true mastermind/artist when it comes to architecture and design. It has enough seats for a 1,000 person choir and the use of light and space inside is spectacular. Nina says the inside of the church is ethereal. I have more pictures on my camera and it's hard to capture what you see with the human eye. Every time I looked up or around I saw something new.



Unfortunately, we missed the gift shops because it closed at 2:00 pm. :-(

After visiting the church, we ate lunch at Farggi, which was sandwiches and ice cream for dessert. Nina really enjoyed her strawberry cheesecake ice cream. It was the best she ever had and it was creamy. I had chocolate coconut pistachio flavoured ice cream. Yes, it was one scoop and it was combined. It was a pleasant blend that that would surprise you with each lick - once a mixture of all three flavours and other time each distinct flavoured could be tasted.

After lunch we walked up Avinguda de Diagonal to see Casa de Les Punxes (House of Spikes), is an apartment block with turrets and stunning balconies. According to Lonely Planet it looks like a fairy-tale castle and it does. It definitely has a romantic feel to it.


Next we walked to Casa  & Comalat, built in 1911 by Salvador Valeri. One can immediately tell that Valeri was influenced by Gaudi with it's wavy roof, whimsical framing around the windows and and tile work.


We returned to Casa Dover after viewing stunning architecture and a gigantic pasta statue. We relaxed, drank some mint tea, laid in fetal positions on our beds and mad frequent trips to the bathroom.

Eventually, I got hungry and told Nina to get up and let's go. We went to Cafe Adonis. It truly is a great little spot and I wished my neighbourhood had something similar. I told Nina I was having beer and I was ordering steak and veggies. She was worried what the dinner and wine would do to her intestines. I replied, I can't see how it would be any worse than now and it's my birthday and I'm going big, which means a small piece of steak (I finished Nina's steak, too), small, skinny fries and veggies. I definitely could have eaten more steak and veggies. It was probably the first true red meat I have had since Ottawa. Nina had two glasses of wine while I had three glasses (not pint size -smaller) of beer. I had ice cream (one scoop each of lemon, chocolate, and vanilla) for dessert and Nina had a warmed brownie with ice cream.

Now it's way past our bed-time and according to Nina, my birthday is over to which I replied, "not in Canada". :-) I got one of her famous eye-rolls.

No comments: