Tuesday 26 January 2010

NYE in Mont Tremblant, Quebec

Five chiquitas went to Mont Tremblant, Quebec over New Years to ski, celebrate Robin's birthday on New Year's Day and to bring in a new year. We rented a condo right in the village  and it was very close to the gondola and chair lift. We couldn't ask for a better spot. We went for supper and drinks the first night. Nina was served salmon that was raw in the middle and they didn't want to take anything off her bill at first, but Robin said something to the waitress and Nina's drink was removed from the bill.

The next day (New Years' Eve day), 4 of us went downhill skiing and the 5th person went cross-country skiing. The weather was really nice while we were there, which was great because the last time Nina, Robin, and I were in Tremblant, about 3 years ago, it was bloody cold that day ... -40 degrees. On our first day of skiing, I lost one of my gloves on the chair lift (I thought the string was still around my wrist, turns out it wasn't ... oops) while I was adjusting my toque, so after Robin and I skied down the run with my left hand in my pocket, we went to a shop so I could buy a new pair of gloves, and then we went for lunch. We met a nice man at the restaurant, who told us stories of his business and of his travels working with habitat for humanity and similar organizations. He offered to buy us drinks, which we refused because Robin and I wanted to go for a couple more runs before the hill was closed for the day. We went to Diablo for supper and drinks, then back to our condo for some beverages, such as apple pie shooters. We to the top of the village around 11pm and danced outside along other strangers to music supplied by a DJ and later a band. Afterwards, we stood at the bottom of the ski hill and watched the firework display. The fireworks were very impressive and in my humble opinion, I think they were better than Parliament Hill's fireworks on Canada Day.

New Year Day (Happy Birthday Robin), we were all slow to get going that morning and surprise surprise, not that many people were on the hill that day. Only 3 of us went skiing on this day and the other two girls went off snowshoeing. I loved being on the hill practicing my turns and gliding down the hill and breathing in the fresh air. I also loved watching the little kids in their ski classes and in each group there's always either a kid crying, asking when it's time for hot chocolate, or a kid getting in trouble from the instructor for "bombing" the hill. The day before two little girls in their pink/purple helmets and snowsuits were on the chair lift (they almost missed and we had to grab onto one of the girls and lift her up) with Robin and I and they giggled the entire time. Very adorable kids!

That night Robin made us supper and we went out to some bar at the bottom of the village for some dancing. We couldn't believe they were charging anywhere from $60-100 per person the night before because it was New Year's Eve. The bar is small with squished in dance floor. It was funny to see these girls in their tight dresses that kept riding up as they danced or walked up the stairs. The guys liked it and that's probably why they wear those kinds of dresses. Another girl wore a dress that was way, way, way too small for her and exposed most of her bosum. We were making guesses when they would pop out of her dress because they were barely contained in her dress. We left the bar soon after seeing that girl and went home to bed.
The next day we traveled back to Ottawa and to lots of snow, which was a surprise. It was a short getaway, but nice nonetheless to do something with the girls over the holidays. I definitely could have spent more time skiing, which means sometime in the future, I will have to plan a week long ski trip. :)

No comments: