Wednesday 26 August 2009

Cottage weekend in Consecon


I took a couple days off from work so I could have a 4 day weekend to visit my sister D and her family at their cottage in Consecon, Ontario. The weekend before was really hot and humid and I was hoping for this kind of weather while I was at the cottage, but alas, it was not meant to be. The weather was very strange over the weekend with dark, gloomy clouds and a hint of rain, and then the sun would come out and sometimes hide behind white, fluffy cumulus clouds.

It's been quite a while since I've seen my sister D ... probably for an afternoon in the last year, year and a half. The last time I spent any significant time with my sister D was almost 3 years ago when my brother-in-law was in the hospital for heart surgery. The surgery took place in Kingston and my sister and I spent our time walking around, hanging out at the hospital or in the B&B chatting, watching TV, and eating Old Dutch potato chips.

It was strange being in the Consecon area and not go to Lake Consecon or to the old campground where my family used to camp. I spent so many summers there either swimming in the pool or the lake and teaching my eldest niece J (1 of 7 nieces and nephews ... yet, people wonder why I don't want kids ;)) how to swim. At the time, she preferred the swimming pool because she could see and touch (almost) the bottom. She always made a fuss whenever I wanted to swim in the lake because she couldn't see the bottom and there was seaweed. Eww! Yuck! I preferred swimming in the lake because there wasn't very many little kids and it had a floating dock where you could sun bathe and dive off into the water. I have so many fond memories camping there as a teenager, especially on long weekends with my friends in our tents on the field at the top of hill. We would sit around the fire all night long or drive into Trenton for McDonald's.

Saturday, my sister D, niece J (my eldest niece J's little sister) and I went out for lunch, then we visited some antique stores in the area (Carrying Place and Brighton) and bought groceries for the weekend. When we returned to the cottage, my brother-in-law had drinks ready for us (Guinness for me and rye & coke for my sister). We took our drinks and sat outside overlooking the water while my brother-in-law prepared supper. It was a great supper of bbq veggies, steak, and corn on the cob. Sunday was declared a pajama day and a whatever you want to do day. I went out for swim and played around in the water. I would swim out so far, then float around on my back and come into shore, then I would do the whole thing over again. It was wonderful, especially because the water was as smooth as glass and I loved staring out into the distance looking at boats, land, or absolutely nothing. Over the weekend, I read, watched some funny movies and a horrible movie (2006 version of Tooth Fairy ... it's supposed to be a horror movie, but it was more comical than anything and it's much worse than a B rated movie) with my family. I am very happy I visited with my sister D and her family, it was great catching up with everyone. We talked about boys or when will the boys look like men (my sister and I said they start looking like men around 25 years of age much to the chagrin of my niece), movies, books, and trips. Of course there's joking and teasing, for example, being called a shorty by your 15 year old 5'10" niece J. So I called her flat arse over the weekend. Really, it shouldn't come as a shock that there's teasing and joking when I'm around. :)
I'll be back next year.

No comments: