Sunday 28 June 2009

Les Contamines to Les Chapieux


Ahh, stage 2 of the Tour du Mont Blanc from Les Contamines (1167m) to Les Chapieux (1554m). What was supposed to be a 7 hour day turned out to be a 10 hour day. Yes, a 10 hour of day of climbing, climbing, climbing, and more climbing. It started out a pleasant walk and then we're hit with a steep incline. We passed an old Roman bridge. I looked for an inscription and could only see Altitude 1425 metres. I'm not sure what that is in feet measurement but you can figure it out for yourselves. Some of you may think that's high and at the time so did I until you go higher and higher. Our highest point of the day was at Col de la Croix (du Bonhomme) - 2483 metres.
The Roman Bridge:

I have to admit that this stage was ass-kicking and not in a good way; it was much more than I expected. Oh sure were there spectacular views, from Col de Bonhomme, but this was also one the scariest parts of the trail from Col de Bonhomme to Croix de Bonhomme. The trail is mostly shale rock and right on the edge. I wish I could capture how far up we were and how far down it was to the bottom. That would be a scary fall and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I can't imagine ultra-marathoners running this at night time. They're insane!

See the little tiny dark speck, it's a chalet and we hiked all the way from their up.


We finally made it Les Chapieux and stayed at the Auberge de la Nova. We had a private room and so far we hadn't had to sleep in a dormitory. My big toes feel like they have pins and needles going through them. I was pooped! At supper that night, everyone we talked too said it took them longer than the book says. For most people, it took them 9 hours.


For supper we had diet coke (Coca-Cola Light in Europe) and a 3 course dinner, which was a pea soup, square pasta with rabbit stew and creme brulee for dessert. The food was very yummy. I wasn't expecting that much food and was very surprised, even with the dessert.
Beer-Wine consumption: 1 (no, not me; Vix had wine after supper)

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I'm so jealous...the view is spectacular! Gosh you girls rock, how physically demanding this trip looks! I'm really enjoying your posts Trixie and thinking of you both!