Sunday 17 January 2016

Not Another Bernat Seed Stitch Lap Blanket

Completed seed stitch lap blanket

One of my friend's just bought a new place in December and her birthday happens to fall on January 1st. I was trying to think what I could get her for a housewarming/birthday present, then decided over Christmas to make her a Bernat Seed Stitch blanket like the one I made for myself, but in colours to go with her new living room furniture. The dark grey and light grey would work and her favourite colour is red, which is perfect, just switch out the teal for red. Now to get the yarn and it just so happens that Michael's had a sale on all yarn.  My mom and I went there to scope it out and she bought some yarn to make dish clothes and I bought yarn to make this blanket and to make some hats.

I must admit that lately I am a little addicted to knitting.  During my break between Christmas and New Year's Day, I made 3 seed stitch cowls (see image below) using Bernat Roving Yarn.  The teal cowl was for me, the white one was for a friend at work and the squash colour one is just sitting on a shelf looking for an owner.

One of my friend's just bought a new place and her birthday happens to fall on January 1st.  I was trying to think what I could get her for a housewarming/birthday present, then decided over Christmas to make her a Bernat Seed Stitch blanket like the one I made for myself, but in colours to go with her new living room furniture.  The dark grey and light grey would work and her favourite colour is red,  perfect, switch out the teal for red.  Right after Christmas, Michael's had a sale on all yarn and my mom and I went there to scope it out.  My mom bought some yarn to make dish clothes and I bought yarn to make this blanket and to make some hats.
A photo posted by Trixie 👸 & Nutmeg 🐶 (@trixietakesatrip) on

 I also knitted my very first hat/toque (see image below).  This was DIY Flying Tuque Kit from Atelier4920 was purchased from Easy in early December.  You can choose the colour of yarn and pompom.  It came with a ball of merino wool, a pompom and enormous circular needles. The needles were US 20 mm and I attempted to make the hat a couple of times in December, but was having such difficulty moving the stitches around the needles and working with the needles.  After a couple of times of trying to knit it and getting frustrated, I decided to put the kit away until the Christmas break.



Thinking I had plenty of time to make the blanket because I probably wouldn't see my friend for a while, I started working (still in progress) on a Paton Garter Stitch Cowl using Bernat Roving Yarn.  That is until my friend contacted me on a Monday about seeing the moving Mockingjay Part 2 on  Sunday followed by supper to celebrate our birthdays.  OH CRAP!  I had less than a week to complete this blanket and was feeling somewhat relieved that it knits up super fast.  The Garter Stitch Cowl was put to the side and out came the needles and yarn to make the blanket.  Every evening after taking Nutmeg for a walk, making supper, playing with Nutmeg, I would knit and knit hoping to complete the blanket by Sunday.

A 1/3 completed

That weekend a blessing or a curse happened, it rained all day Saturday and Sunday.  Great!  I can stay inside and work on the blanket.  Nutmeg hates the rain and will barely move outside and it makes her sleepy, so I knitted all day and all evening Saturday.

Nutmeg hates the rain
I finished knitting the blanket that Saturday night, but left all the loose ends to deal with on Sunday morning.  I woke up early Sunday morning, took Nutmeg for a walk since it wasn't raining and as soon as we came in it started to downpour outside.   Excellent timing!  We had breakfast and then I tackled the task of sewing in the loose ends from starting new colours.  This part took forever and was such a dull task.  BUT I completed the blanket in plenty of time before our movie that afternoon.

Almost done - one more row to go
I gave the gift bag to my friend at the theatre and she put it next to our seat.  I was going to tell her to open her gift if she's get cold during the movie.  I should have because the theatre was freezing.  My friend opened the gift when she got home and sent me a text and wrote "OMG amazing. Thank you!  Is it a mini blanket or a rug?".  Don't know where she got "rug" from.  I told her it was a lap blanket and she replied "Good, cuz I just threw it on me."  She's been using it while cozying up watching TV with fire.

Here are the details for the blanket:

The pattern: Yarnspirations' Bernat Seed Stitch Blanket

Boye Anodized Aluminum Circular Needles size US 19/15 mm - 29 in / 73.6 cm


Used 10 rolls of Bernat Mega Chunky yarn:

  • 4 Dark Grey Heather
  • 3 Light Grey Heather
  • 3 Claret

Pattern:

  1. Dark Grey Heather
  2. Light Grey Heather
  3. Claret
  4. Dark Grey Heather
  5. Light Grey Heather
  6. Claret
  7. Dark Grey Heather
  8. Light Grey Heather
  9. Claret
  10. Dark Grey Heather
Cast on 67 stitches:
1st row: K1, P1, repeat to end
2nd row: P1, K1 (seed stitch is you purl your knits and knit your purls)
Change to new colour at end of row.

No comments: